December 21, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Christmas time is here again! Our tree , lights, stockings and garland are up. A Christmas Story village and a plethora of Christmas knickknacks are out. And the joy of all of my THINGS being out has already come and gone. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. Love it. In fact, my birthday is tomorrow. The wonderful memories I have of everyone being in a happy, friendly, charitable frame of mind all around my birthday are some I will never forget. But now, as a parent, it all falls a little flat. I desperately want my children to know WHY we celebrate Christmas. And they do. They know and will quote that "Christmas is about giving not getting." They only ask for 3 things to represent the three gifts given by the magi. They know inside and out that Christmas is about Jesus. And Milo no longer believes in Santa. A tradition that I never wanted to start but followed my husbands lead into. I was so relieved when Milo told me. Poor boy was afraid he wouldn't get any presents if we knew he didn't believe in Santa. But he told us anyway "because it was right." So, why am I so unsettled?
Then a thread came up on cmomb.com last week asking why some Christians don't celebrate Christmas at all. And for privacy reasons I won't go into detail but the whole discussion really pushed me over the edge. So, I don't know how much the appearance of my house will change at Christmas time but my heart is certainly changed. Worshipping God in the way He instructs us through His Word should be our only guide. I am now studying what that means. And I do it with JOY.

May your hearts be lifted in praise this Christmas for the wonderful gift of Jesus and all the joy He brings to our lives.
Have a wonder filled Christmas and a
Blessed New Year!

The Bennetts


No comments: